Anne Graham Lotz on Prayer, Repentance and Hope of Heaven

By   •   May 1, 2014

anne graham lotz

As Anne Graham Lotz prepares for her role as Honorary Chairman of the 63rd annual National Day of Prayer, she has a lot on her mind.

The founder and president of AnGeL Ministries in Raleigh, N.C., Anne has a demanding schedule, full of writing projects, speaking engagements and outreaches to the lost and hurting.

Anne also takes care of her husband of 47 years, Danny Lotz, who has been ill for quite some time. Last week, she thought she might lose him.

“He almost didn’t make it,” she said.

Anne also has three grown children and three grandchildren. And of course, her 95-year-old father, Billy Graham, is always on her mind.

Still, when she was asked to speak during the National Day of Prayer on May 1, Anne sensed that she should accept.

“I have a sense of a divine calling,” she said. “I feel like this is a very strategic time in our nation’s history. I feel like God is up to something.”

Our Only Hope: Return or Revival

For many years, Anne has prayed for the United States, echoing her father’s call for Americans to repent and turn to God.

Billy Graham has served as Honorary Chairman of the National Day of Prayer. So has his son, Franklin Graham, the president of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

An accomplished evangelist and author in her own right, Anne believes she wasn’t chosen for the honorary role because of her famous family, but because she has an important message to deliver.

“In our culture, there’s a spirit of anti-Christ that’s permeating not just our world, but our nation,” Anne said.

She believes hope for the U.S. can only come from one of two things: the return of Jesus or spiritual revival.

“If we do not have revival, and if Jesus tarries and does not come back soon, I think we’re disintegrating into spiritual and moral bankruptcy,” Anne said. “Our foundation is crumbling.”

The theme of this year’s National Day of Prayer is based on Romans 15:6:

So that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

With those words in mind, Anne’s message will be twofold. The first part will focus on acknowledging the one true, living God—the Creator of everything, and the Father of Jesus Christ.

“And the second message is a call to repentance, that in light of who He is, we need to get on our faces and repent,” Anne said.

From her national platform, she will call on the entire country to pray.

“Sometimes people think, ‘Well, people in Washington are praying, or people are going to an event and they’re praying.’ We think, ‘Other people are praying. What difference does my prayer make?’” Anne said. “For people like that, I would say, how do you know if you don’t pray?”

‘This Life is Not All There Is’

Even as she prays for revival in the U.S. and around the world, Anne is also praying for the final antidote to all the sin and suffering on earth—the return of Jesus Christ, who is coming to take believers to heaven.

“Heaven is very much on my mind, and I think it’s on God’s mind,” Anne said. “It’s just the sweetest thing because heaven really is our hope. We know this life is not all there is.”

That truth is especially close to Anne’s heart as she thinks about her own loved ones.

“Because of Daddy’s situation…I just know that any moment he could step into eternity,” Anne said. “So I’m thinking about heaven as it relates to him, and even my husband.”

Anne says she has gone back and added fresh content her book, Heaven: My Father’s House, which will be re-released in June.

“I’ve rewritten a lot of it, because heaven is on my mind,” she said. “Sometimes life gets so hard that even as a believer it takes your breath away. For me, it’s a roller coaster. You have highs and lows, and I’m so thankful that this life is not all there is, that there’s coming a time when God will wipe the tears from our faces.”

Until then, she will pray for our country to turn to God, and she invites the entire nation to join together in that prayer.

1. Mary Bess Burns says:

Thank you for you work and commitment.

2. Dean M Hough says:

It is so good to know you are praying for our nation – as I also spend time when I am at home. How we need Him in these desparate days. In my 76 years I have never seen this country this way! Only Christ can make a difference. Only Christ can give us life now and in heaven. He is so GOOD! Love Him.

3. Debbie says:

Anne I understand your concerns about the fate of our world and the disinterest in our Lord. I recently lost my husband of 20 years to ALS / in September, 2012 we lost his sister to ALS (the next week my husband was diagnosed). He passed March 14, 2014. Since his passing I’ve felt a renewal in the Lord – he has been my strength, my friend, my confidant and my counselor. Easter was extra special to me because of the resurrection and the sacrifice Jesus made by dying on the cross. Although I’ve lost siblings, a parent, grandparents, friends and special relatives death took on a new meaning when my husband passed. Death is final and forever so long as we are on this earth – the ony way to be with loved ones again is through Jesus and God the Father – I praise his Holy Name!!!!

4. Deanae Bullard says:

Thank you Ann for all your wonderful work in ministry and all your prayers for bringing so many folks together in Jesus name. I am reaching out to you to ask for help, to find someone that is a qualified Pastor to Volunteer time on The Heaven Facebook page and Heaven Twitter. I started this page wanting to bring people closer to Jesus, I just feel we need a pastor on board. Sincerely, Deanae Bullard

5. Margarete Nehring says:

For 40 years the powerful message from B.Graham in England have streangthend my life to become a missionary .We asFamily love toread the Entscheidung for more than 20 years and varous books.We pray for strengh and great peace for the entire grand Graham Family.

6. Buck Hinton says:

I pray that God will give you and all Christian’s the strength we need to endure in these final days. I also pray that none will be lost and for the Holy Spirit to move across the earth and convict hearts to turn to God before it is too late.

7. Laura says:

Dear Anne, you have been an enormous part of building my faith along with your dad and brother,Franklin. Thank you for all you do. God bless and keep you and your family. Praise The Lord for the Graham family!

8. Ida Mae Beasley says:

Thank you, Anne, for your love and wonderfully amazing prayer for our country. Thank you that so many of us can pray that same prayer.

9. Francis Oluoch Ojuok says:

God bless you Anne Graham Lotz! May He who began the good work in you bring it faithfully to completion in the day of Jesus Christ…

10. Ronisha says:

Anne, Thank you for this message. I need to focus more on Heaven because that’s our true hope. I lost several family members. Recently my cousin lost her husband and now she’s a widower and has a nine year old daughter. She was very devastated by her father’s death because she and her father were very close. I ask you to keep them in prayer.