93 Years of Grace

By   •   November 3, 2011   •   Topics:

I have often said that the first things I am going to do when I get to Heaven is to ask, “Why me, Lord? Why did you choose a farmboy from North Carolina to preach to so many people, to have such a wonderful team of associates, and to have part in what You were doing in the latter half of the twentieth century?”

One of the joys of Heaven, I am convinced, will be discovering the hidden ways that God in His sovereignty acted in our lives on earth to protects us and guide us so as to bring glory to His name, in spite of our frailty.

As I look back over the years, however, I know that my deepest feeling is one of overwhelming gratitude. I cannot take credit for whatever God has chosen to accomplish through us and out ministry; only God deserves the glory, and we can never thank Him enough for the great things He has done.

Although I have much to be grateful for as I look back on my life, I also have many regrets. I have failed many times, and I would do many things differently.

For one thing, I would speak less and study more, and I would spend more time with my family. I would also spend more time in spiritual nurture, seeking to grow closer to God so I could become more like Christ. I would spend more time in prayer, not just for myself but for others. I would spend more time studying the Bible and meditating on its truth, not only for sermon preparation but to apply its message to my life.

And I would give more attention to fellowship with other Christians, who could teach me and encourage me (and even rebuke me when necessary).

About one thing I have absolutely no regrets, however, and that is my commitment many years ago to accept God’s calling to serve Him as an evangelist of the Gospel of Christ. I know that soon my life will be over. I thank God for it, and for all He has given me in this life.

But I look forward to Heaven.

I look forward to the reunion with friends and loved ones who have gone on before. I look forward to Heaven’s freedom from sorrow and pain. I also look forward to serving God in ways we can’t begin to imagine, for the Bible makes it clear that Heaven is not a place of idleness.

And most of all, I look forward to seeing Christ and bowing before Him in praise and gratitude for all He has done for us, and for using me on this earth by His grace – just as I am.

Support His Legacy

Please help BGEA continue Billy Graham’s ministry for generations to come. Donate online today to ensure the Gospel of Jesus Christ will touch the hearts of families at home and around the world.

1. Kiende says:

Happy Birthday Dr. Graham! You have been a blessing to me and many more, may God continue to bless and keep you, may His face shine upon you, and be gracious and give you peace, more and more each day. Amen!

2. Al and Judy says:

We thank God for Billy Graham and his ministry. It has been a blessing to us for over 49 years. Thanks too for your Library. We have been there and expect to return again. Your entire family has blessed our lives over the years. HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLY! May the Lord bless you real good.

3. Daniel says:

I thank The Almighty God for you. Watched you for the first time in Kenya when I was little and was intrigued by your preaching which has never changed and by the way changed my life. I continue to pray for you for God's mercies and protection and strength. Happy birthday Billy and may God richly bless you. Thank you.

4. Karen says:

I learned my from mom that in my parent's country of Taiwan, great grandchildren are affectionately called Sa-Bu-Ah, which is translated into “little fleas” because there are so many of them. Your ministry has brought so many to Christ, that I can only imagine how many “little fleas” you have as those you've pointed to Christ have children and their children and their children's children know Him as well! Happy 93rd Birthday!!!

5. Tom: says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, BILLY GRAHAM: WE ATTENDED YOUR CRUSADE IN NASHVILLE IN THE 80'S. THANK YOU FOR YOUR MINISTRY!!! A RETIED UNITED METHODIST MINISTER. TOM

6. Alan says:

Happy Birthday, Billy!!

7. Sharissa says:

Happy Birthday to such a awesome man of God!

8. Cheruioyt says:

Billy you are such an inspiration, haven't seen or heard a servant who put things the way they are, no prosperity gospel let the people repent their sin that is the foundation of good life. Happy birthday may the Lord bless you to see many more generations to come

9. Jilana says:

Words cannot express your life. You have been a tradition in my family for so many years. You can never know how many lives you have touched, by God's grace. Thank you for your life.

10. Dr. R. L. Coleman says:

Happy Birthday to a great man of God who has inspired me as well as millions throughout this world.