Bridge the Gap

By   •   November 19   •   Topics:

88634224

In searching for ways to bridge the generation gap, there is no doubt that we, as parents, will have to practice what we preach, by striving more and more to bring our conduct into line with our code of beliefs.

No mother can demand that her daughter abstain from sleeping around when she herself is flirting and on occasion compromising her own moral conduct. No father, who wavers between heavy social drinking and occasional binges to the edge of alcoholism, and who can’t speak a pleasant word in the morning until he has had a cigarette, can yell incessantly at his son to get off marijuana, the route that often leads to hard drugs.

Consistency, constancy, and undeviating diligence to maintain Christian character are a must if the older generation is to command respect, or even a hearing, from the young.

Younger eyes see my errant behavior, Lord. Help me to be the right example—one which will draw them to You.

1. Gerry says:

So true, we must continually strive to be “doer’s” of God’s Holy Word. Not just “hearer’s” Otherwise we may be considered, mere hypocrites, to those watching our behaviour.

2. Joyce Paul says:

When The Lord shows us what’s wrong in our lives, He always provide a remedy for change. When we turn from our sins, He forgives & strengthen us to start over.God Bless you! amen.

3. D.S.Rajsekhar,Triplicane. says:

If we don’t pour into our children, the streets are going to take them.Let’s not become weary. The Lord has invested in us to do His work in our respective places.I get hungry for your devotional everyday & lap it up.first thing at break of day.Training a child is more important than teaching him.

4. Rachel Crowell says:

Where can I find the related/suggested reading topics ?

5. michael says:

Oh yes, I have 2 nephews who are concerned about their father & his smoking habit. What’s so ironic is that when he was in high school he had a heart murmur, but less than a year later he took up smoking. And one of his sons 23 had a heart attack, & we almost lost him, & genetics were involved at that.

6. Hootie says:

What a great admonishment to us older Christians….we certainly need to lead exemplary lives in order to each the younger generations. I thank God for the BGEA daily….first thing I access each morning.

7. Jim Ross says:

A warning would have been nice rather than just changing the url and making us find your new site. I am able to do so but you must remember many cannot and you may have now lost them. I do miss the other suggested reading topics that are not included on this new site that you no longer call daily devotional. Many of us used this site to start the day and now it’s just not going to work. I’m disappointed. – Kind Regards

1. Lynn Stepp says:

Jim, I apologize for the confusion. This link will take you to the daily devotions. http://billygraham.org/devotions/ From the homepage if you scroll your mouse over the “Grow Your Faith” tab you will see the daily devotion. I think you will like it when you see it. There is a calendar that shows all of the devotions from the month by title. Please let us know how this works for you. Blessings

8. Gerald Austin says:

I have enjoyed the daily devotional for years, particularly the uplifting , inspirational comments of Rev. Graham and other believers. Is this the new format? Will I be able to continue to view the comments of others in the future?

1. Lynn Stepp says:

I am sorry for the confusion. Scroll over Grow Your Faith at the top of the page. You will immediately see the Daily Devotion tab… All comments will be posted as usual. Here is the direct link if that will help you. http://billygraham.org/devotions/ Thank you for your support.

9. D.S.Rajsekhar,Triplicane. says:

I cannot but respond to Christ’s love & atoning sacrifice.It must cost me something.He endured the cross for the joy that was set before Him.Lord,I accept your invitation to the wedding feast in the prescribed protocol.
    I will wear the wedding garment and attend the banquet.

10. D.S.Rajsekhar,,Triplicane. says:

Give me the first minutes of your time in the morning says The Lord.When Peter could not keep watch by staying awake in the garden of Gethsamane,The Lord addressed him as Simon,meaning a ‘reed’.Lord,I will be
    Peter,the ‘rock’ by Your grace.The next generation should emulate their elders who are responsible for their behaviour .