History’s Defining Moment

By   •   August 25, 2011

history

Every generation has its defining moment.

Dec. 7, 1941: Imperial Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, sank four battleships and killed 2,402 Americans.

Sept. 11, 2001: Islamic terrorists attacked New York and Washington, crashed four jets and took 2,977 innocent lives.

President Franklin Roosevelt immortalized Dec. 7 as “a day that will live in infamy.” In the dark hour that the United States was drawn into World War II, no one could have foreseen that within four years, we would be celebrating victory over Japan as well as Nazi Germany. In hindsight, journalist Tom Brokaw called the people who won that war “the greatest generation any society has ever produced.”

On the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, as repercussions and consequences continue to unfold, I wonder how history will judge our generation and the war against terror.

Our troops have fought bravely to accomplish their mission in Afghanistan and Iraq, and many have sacrificed their lives for the cause of freedom. The world is a safer place without Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein. But the final chapter has not yet been written.

In the ongoing battle between good and evil, the defining moment in human history was the day Jesus was crucified. The Bible tells us that for three hours while He was dying, “darkness came over all the land” (Matthew 27:45). Far worse than that, it appeared that the Light of the world was being extinguished by a devilish conspiracy between political, religious and military authorities.

As far as Jesus’ followers were concerned, all was lost. Their beloved teacher and leader was dying. They might be next.

Yet today, Christians call that terrible day “Good Friday”–now that we know the whole story and understand what Jesus was doing in the depths of the darkness. Not only did He pay the price for our sins with His own blood, but then He defeated death and walked out of His own grave. His followers told everyone what they had witnessed, and the world has never been the same.

They never forgot what He said the night before He was crucified: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33).

As we remember 9/11–all that we lost that day and all the troubles we face today–let’s never forget that Jesus has overcome the world. We may not be able to see it yet, but we will soon.

The day is coming “that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:10-11).

In Jesus–and in Him alone–we have victory and peace.  ©2011 BGEA

Scripture quotations taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version.

1. Robinson says:

Thank you for this good article.However as Christians what is our weapon?It is forgiveness.I don't think that the worst enemy of Humanity was Saddam and Osama.They are bad i agree but greed,idolatry and Hypocrisy are worse enemies than people. Jesus knew that we all change and that is why he chose to use words rather than a sword,for Peter responded to his attackers with a sword and Jesus ordered him not to use it,can then support it as being justified in establishing our christian values.If we go by the thinking that there are those beyond the reach of change then we could not celebrate Paul's ministry for he was a worse enemy of Christianity and mankind the same with Osama and Saddam and the likes they deserve forgiveness, mercy and prayer for them to change. Let us be steadfast on love , harmony,unity and peace

2. Sue says:

In this world there is good and evil. There always will be. Those of us who believe in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ know that salvation comes after this life is over. While here, Jesus has commanded his followers to love one another-help bring peace and an open heart to others so that they may know God's love and also be saved.

3. Gail says:

There are no words that can express the love Jesus Christ has for us. In this world I often forget this, but we have to remember he overcame this world! I pray people do not look at him as just a great man, but the one that saved us from eternal death. Jesus,my Lord and Saviour!

4. Betty says:

For me! The torture, degradation and sacrifice He endured. For me! Who am I? Thank you, precious Lord Jesus. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. (John 15:13) I must live my life in such a way that I deserve His love!

5. Petar says:

I am not sure is it right for Christian to say: “The world is safer place without Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.” That's true, probably, (but they will have followers…), but in this sentence there is a conotation that is not totaly clean, in the light of God's love… “The vengance is mine, sayeth the Lord”. This sounds like it is ours, that we still have spirit of vengance in ourselfs…

6. Sandra K. says:

The day You died for us, Precious Lord Jesus, is the day that will truly live in infamy. And just like that life changing event, some will see the truth of who You are in the midst of tragedy. The defining moments in the history of nations are wonderful opportunities to turn to You and take Your hand in the midst of pain. Always You give hope like no other. Thank You my Savior, my Lord.

7. Carol says:

Jesus. Jesus. Jesus.There's just something about that name Master, Savior, Jesus Let all heaven and earth proclaim Kings and kingdoms will all pass away, But there's something about that name. I love Him because He first loved me!!

8. Trudy says:

How grateful I am for the sacrifice Jesus made for me that I can believe and trust in Him for my salvaton. Praise His Holy Name.

9. Wally says:

How deep and great a love he had for us to go and die and suffer like he did. In Mat 13:35 he says: A new comandment I give you to love one another as I have loved you, so love one another. This is how important love is to God so we should all listen and do as he says and our world would be better place.

10. Carol says:

I never put it into perspective the term “Good Friday”. It certainly wasn't a good day! for what the Lord went through on our behalf. Imagine, for a minute, sacrificing your own life on behalf of someone else's? That's love in one of the deepest forms. Oh how we should ALWAYS praise Him!!!!