Persistence and Patience

By Ruth Bell Graham   •   October 2, 2013

Persistence-and-Patience

I was reading Psalm 139:7-12, putting a certain loved one’s name in appropriately. Suddenly I realized this was another side of Luke 15—the parable of the lost sheep.
With such a Shepherd, that lost sheep hadn’t a chance.

When our son Franklin was born, Luverne Gustavson, Bill’s secretary at that time, gave him a little stuffed black lamb containing a music box which, when wound, played “Jesus Loves Me.” It is on the bookshelf in my bedroom now beside a picture of our son in Israel holding in his arms a little black lamb.

Prophetic? Almost.

A comfort? Frequently.

This is one more illustration that when I am dealing with an all-powerful, all-knowing God, I, as a mere mortal, must offer my petitions not only with persistence but also with patience. Someday I’ll know why.?

Taken by permission from “Prodigals and Those Who Love Them,” By Ruth Bell Graham. ©1991, 1999 The Ruth Bell Graham Literary Trust.

1. Jim McDonald says:

I have using Romans 8:28 to help me understand that God is working everything out in my life for His glory. It has slowly been helping me to accept situations that are not always clear to me. God knows before I do & is not surprised.

2. Suzanne says:

Patience is something that I have been struggling with more and more as I age. I am so thankful that God uses His people, like the Graham family, to reach out to others who need strength and encouragement. What a loving God we have! I have said a prayer today for God to grant me the spirit of patience. I am so thankful that we can pray prayers like this and that He is listening. I also enjoyed reading the words of Ruth Bell Graham today. What an incredible woman. I am so thankful for the encouragement of other Christians and for a loving God who cares so much for us.

3. Margareta Cronholm says:

Thank you Ruth Graham Bell. I like the little black sheep. If we study God’s creation we will find that they are not in a harry but patiently move forwards.

4. Janet Martin says:

Thank you for the sweet reminder that our good heavenly Father is in control at a level of depth that escapes human understanding. God loves our adult children and grandchildren and in faith, prayer, trust I hand them to Him.

5. Mary Dillon says:

I really thank God, for my patience. I have always been patient. I was the baby of 4 little girls and always felt like I was alone. I new God since my early years and I think I was very dependent on Him for my friend. Now that I am in my late 60’s, I have been thru a lot of surgeries and illnesses. Because of these and a lot of sickness, my patience has really been tried and tried many , many times. I am really glad to say that I have held on to it and feel good about myself for it. I just wish I could teach it to others…I truly love God and still depend on Him. I am a wife of 49 years and a mother of two boys.. God Bless you & yours and thank God for Rev. Billy Graham we love you all

6. Willie P. Bowman Jr says:

I am very impatient with my wife who is bipolar. I really dont know what to do with someone who is forgetful and sometimes out of touch with reality. We are also in the middle of selling our house and the experience is driving me up the wall and strecheing us financialy.

7. Patti says:

I have been struggling with patience for awhile now,may god give us more patience in our lives to wait for him to deal with the things that come our way.

8. Sylvia Guerrero says:

I really love readings from Ruth Graham, she was a woman of wisdom and godly!! I don’t know her other than her writings but I can honestly say she is a woman of honor and integrity with a great love and reverence for God!!!! I pray through the word of God I too can achieve such love and reverence.

9. Russell says:

I have never had much patiences until now

10. lorraine bester says:

This iis a problem that I think most of the people are struggling with. But praise thr LORD for the guiding and leading of the HOLY GHOST. Halleluja.