Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year! Our family celebrates it with lots of food, family and football. But woven throughout all that we do is an attitude of abundant gratitude for the blessings God has given us. After our celebratory meal, we give each family member an opportunity to thank God for at least one blessing received since the last Thanksgiving.
What are some of the blessings that you thank God for this year? Your physical health … or His faithfulness to see you through sickness? Your financial health … or His wisdom to help you navigate and avoid financial disaster? Your family and friends who have stayed with you through good times and bad … or His comfort to ease the pain of those who have abandoned you? Your church that has helped you stay focused on Him because they have encouraged you by their love … or His commitment to never leave you or forsake you when the church has betrayed you?
As children of God, we have been blessed with every spiritual blessing in Christ—with the things that truly matter from Heaven’s perspective. Jesus is all we need. Jesus is enough.
Read Genesis 1 and Colossians 1:15-23.
ENOUGH IN HIS DEITY
- Who is God, according to Genesis 1:1, 27? Isaiah 40:28, 44:24? John 4:24? 1 Timothy 4:10?
- How many gods are there in the universe? See 1 Corinthians 8:6.
- Has anyone ever seen God? See 1 John 4:12.
- Through Whom has He revealed Himself? Read Hebrews 1:1-3, John 1:18, John 14:8-9, Colossians 1:15.
- Can a person worship God without honoring Jesus Christ as His unique Son? Give key phrases from John 5:19-23.
- If Jesus is God, what problem are you facing that you think is greater than He can solve?
ENOUGH IN HIS AUTHORITY
- Who is the Creator? Name one thing He did not create. See Colossians 1:15-16, Ephesians 3:9 and Revelation 4:11.
- How many times does the phrase “and God said,” or the equivalent, occur in Genesis 1? Give the verses.
- Was “and God said” more than just a phrase of language? What explanation does John 1:1-3, 14 give?
- Is there anyone in the universe with greater authority? Give phrases from Matthew 28:18, Ephesians 1:22-23, John 17:2.
- If Jesus is the Creator of all things, and He is, what person, culture, or force do you think is beyond His reach or outside of His jurisdiction?
ENOUGH IN HIS SUPREMACY
- Who is the most important person in the universe? See Colossians 1:17-18.
- What is His position, according to Ephesians 1:20? Revelation 5:6? 5:13? Isaiah 6:1 with John 12:41?
- How is His position recognized even by His enemies? See Luke 4:31-37, Revelation 19:11-20.
- If Jesus holds the highest position in the universe, and He does, who or what do you think can defy Him and get away with it?
ENOUGH IN HIS ACTIVITY
- What is God’s purpose for you? See Colossians 1:20-23, Ephesians 1:4-8, Romans 8:29. Compare Genesis 1:28 with Ephesians 1:3.
- How is His purpose accomplished in your life? Give the steps:
- Romans 3:23, 1 John 1:9
- Luke 13:3, 5; Acts 2:38, 3:19
- John 3:16, Romans 10:9-10 and 3:22
- Revelation 3:20, John 1:12
- Ephesians 1:13-14, 1 Corinthians 6:11
- Romans 12:1-2, 2 Corinthians 3:18, 1 John 3:1-3
- Philippians 1:6
How is it possible to know God personally? Compare John 3:16 with John 10:10, 27-30 and 17:3.
Do you know God personally?
If Jesus is God in human flesh …
If Jesus holds the highest position in the universe, and everything and everyone is subject to His authority …
If Jesus has a purpose that He is actively completing in the universe as well as in your own life …
It stands to reason that He is enough—for anyone, for everyone, at any time, all the time, in any situation, for every situation! So why isn’t He enough for you? What more could He be … or do … or say? Maybe you just need to get to know Him better.
This Thanksgiving, would you thank God for Jesus by taking time to get to know Him for Who He is in His deity, authority, supremacy and activity? Read your Bible every day, listening for Him to speak to you through it. Talk to Him in prayer. Discover for yourself that Jesus is enough! ©2011 Anne Graham Lotz