Thanks Be to God

By   •   November 2, 2010

thanks-be-to-god

I have much to be thankful for. I am grateful for the many opportunities I have to take the Gospel of Jesus Christ around the world through the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and Samaritan’s Purse.

I am thankful for my family and their personal commitment to follow Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

Although I still miss my mother, I am thankful that she is in the loving arms of the Lord. I’m so blessed that we still have our father with us and in good health as he approaches his 92nd birthday this month. He still wants to preach another sermon, and he loves to spend his time in God’s Word.

I’m also thankful for the prayers of so many of our supporters for our work of evangelism. We could not carry on this ministry apart from the faithful intercession of the saints.

But most of all, I am grateful that I have such a glorious and wonderful Savior to Whom I can constantly and joyfully give thanks.

James—Jesus’ half-brother and the leader of the church in Jerusalem—wrote: “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change” (James 1:17).

When the Apostle John received the “revelation of Jesus Christ” (Revelation 1:1) on the isle of Patmos, he described the scene before God’s throne in a worshipful light: “The twenty-four elders fall down before him who is seated on the throne and worship him who lives forever and ever. They cast their crowns before the throne, saying, ‘Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created’” (Revelation 4:10-11).

As David neared the end of life and contemplated the blessings of God on his life, he uttered these grateful words: “Yours, O Lord, is the greatness and power and the glory and the victory and the majesty, for all that is in the heavens and the earth is yours. … and now we thank you, our God, and praise your glorious name” (1 Chronicles 29:11, 13).

It is always distressing to me during the holiday season to see people giving thanks for their blessings, all the while unwilling to give thanks to the loving and gracious God who is the source of all good things.

When we give thanks to God, we acknowledge Him as the provider of all that we enjoy on this Earth. We celebrate His goodness and tender care for us, and we exalt His sovereign power that rules over the heavens and the Earth. Thanking God humbles our hearts before Him, and it is to the humble that He gives ever-increasing grace (James 4:6).

Above all, I am thankful to God the Father that He “so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). I received Christ as my Savior at age 22, in a hotel in Jerusalem, when I turned from my sin to the Savior and was born again by the Holy Spirit. My life has never been the same, and I am eternally grateful.

“Thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through the Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 15:57).

1. JACK says:

I'm so grateful today that the Lord overlooked my stubborness concerning the Gospel. Thankfully, in His perfect timing, the Lord used the preaching of your dear father and a few bold believers to draw me to our Blessed Savior

2. Linnie Brown says:

I was eight years old when you started in the ministry. As an adult, I wish I could have attended your crusades. I have watched you on television and have many of your books. I am thankful for you and your great ministry of God's word. I know I will never be able to meet you in person here. But someday, in heaven, I will. When we are all with our precious Lord. God Bless you, Rev. Graham. You are the 'real deal.'

3. Linda says:

God Bless the whole Graham family for their sacrificial lives – spent in the service of our Lord so that others may come to know Him.

4. Anna says:

GLORY TO GOD IN THE HIGHEST AND PEACE TO HIS PEOPLE ON EARTH!!!! I am so thankful that GOD is our LORD and SAVIOR!!! Thank YOU VIRGIN MARY for being the CHOSEN ONE TO BRING GOD TO LIFE!!!! WE PRAISE YOU AS WELL!!! GOD will come again and we all need to be ready–I PRAY FOR EVERYONE TO COME TO KNOW HIM! Thank you BILLY GRAHAM–WE ALL LOVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AS WELL!!!! Take care and hope to hear you preach again!

5. DorisBrendan says:

As I watched your project Hope in Thailand, tears ran down my eyes, Can project Hope come to Nigeria and Help us? We need Revival in our Land.

6. Bla says:

I am thankful to the Lord for you and your ministries, you are a brother in Christ, your ministry is a blessing to me, I have lost my husband years ago, and just lost a nephew last weekend, but I am still thanking God for everything he has done for my family, I find comfort and strengthing through God's word, prayers, and your devotions, books and magazines. You have shown us how to love Jesus the way you do, may God bless you and your family. I wish you a very happy birthday and happy thankgiving!!!!

7. Carol says:

God bless you Billy Graham. I remember you from my high school days and how you influenced me to walk with my Lord and stay true to Him. You are the best evangelist and finest example of a powerful Christian man. May God continue to give you good health.

8. Richard says:

Thank you dear God for your servants at BGEA. By their teaching and ministry many are brought to the saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, and many Christians are educated and grow in knowledge of God's word.

9. Jonias Destine says:

I had a great experience with Samaritain Purse in Southern Sudan. May God continue to bless this ministry.

10. Patricia says:

My mother is dying from Stage four bone cancer. She was placed in hospice this past Tues. Her mind is not sharp any more and she awoke last night and said “I am having a holy war w/ Satan.” My mother is and always has been a faithful servant. I am comforted by your words. The Last post by Ms. Foster was just what I needed to read. Thank you for posting, it was a true blessing from GOD!