What Lies Ahead

By Ruth Bell Graham   •   July 2, 2013

what-lies-ahead

One day many years ago, as I was driving home from town with one of our sons, he kept urging me to hurry. “Go faster, Mother!” he insisted. But he was too young to read the road sign that said 45 mph.

And again, “Pass him, Mother.” But he was too small to see that there was a double yellow line.

Then I began applying the brake. “Why are you stopping?” he demanded.
“There’s a school bus ahead that has stopped,” I replied.

I thought to myself, When God is at the wheel, we may request–but never insist. We are too young to read certain signs, too small to see what lies ahead.

George MacDonald writes, “There is a communion with God that asks for nothing, yet asks for everything. … He who seeks the Father more than anything he can give, is likely to have what he asks, for he is not likely to ask amiss.”

There may be a long interval between these two clauses from John 16:24: “ask, and ye shall receive” and “that your joy may be full” (KJV). But the end of true prayer is always joy.

Taken by permission from “Growing in Prayer,” by Ruth Bell Graham, Decision magazine, May 1974, ©1974 The Ruth Graham Literary Trust.

1. Terry says:

Our Dear Ruth's message was relevant in 1974, and still more today.

2. Pilar says:

When both a young girl and older woman, I always wanted to know what laid ahead in life for me. As I face my husband's health crisis, I realize that I don't have to know the future. I just have to know God; trust God and rest in that assurance.

3. ashanti says:

GOD IS THE LIGHT OF MY LIFE WITH OUT HIM I AM TRULY NOTHING

4. Glen says:

I believe it was Smith Wigglesworth, the Apostle of faith, that wrote in one of his books, pray it, believe it, and be done with it. If we could all have that kind of faith, what glory we could bestow on the Father.

5. Hazel says:

We can not get ahead of God on our prayers,I have learned

6. Brenna L says:

I am very blessed by everything from The Billy Graham Ministry and from Samaritan's Purse. I praise God for the faithfulness of the people in these ministries. If there ever were a time we needed God's Truth it is now.

7. Nancy says:

If only the elected officials of our country only be-lieved. There are many in office who are going to fast and stopping to check what lies ahead.

8. Dee says:

God always answers our prayers….sometimes not the way we want but in His way. Thy will be done Father.

9. Randy says:

Dear Lord I pray for Faith like that of Job. In Christ's Holy Name.

10. Jack says. says:

Talking is sometimes good, especially when we PRAY, But listening is far better, when we hear the TRUTH they say, even so we must be careful, of going the wrong way, Thank GOD we have his Bible. telling us his TRUTH every day.