‘The One I Missed’

By Ruth Bell Graham   •   July 2, 2010   •   Topics: ,

the-one-i-missed

It was December 1958. A tragic fire at a parochial school in Chicago, Ill., was being reported on the evening news, and one of the teachers was being interviewed. She told of the panic among the children, the suffocating heat and the smoke that blackened the room in daylight. And she told of helping the children out the window and down the ladders, assisted by the firefighters.

Struggling for control, the teacher described how she had climbed through the window and down the ladder, across the roof and down another ladder to the ground.

“I looked up at the windows and the billowing black smoke,” she said. With tears streaming down her face, she continued, “It was then that I saw the one I missed.”

Amid the pressures of today, the increasing global turmoil—the smoke that blackens the room in daylight—we who are Christians must be alert to the needs of others. Is there a letter that we could write? A simple deed of kindness that we should do? An encouraging word to give to someone who is desperate to hear? Time that we ought to take to listen? Is there someone we should invite for a meal or a cup of tea?

We need to be concerned. We need to have compassion. This is not the same as telling others of the Gospel. Opportunities to help others allow us to show genuine love, to earn the right to be heard, so that we can tell them about Jesus Christ. God forbid that the time should ever come when we will have to look back and see “the one we missed.”

1. I Love Ruth Bell Graham says:

Billy Graham is a fine and dedicated man, I have listened to him preach many times. God Bless Ruth and Billy.

2. Obasogie says:

May we always do what is right at the very right time, according to the Will of GOD, in the Name of JESUS CHRIST. Amen.

3. Tiffanee says:

If I had to go through all the trial's I have faced, to have the relationship with Christ, and to walk through this world knowing I'm in this world, but not of it. There is so much more! To have a love of people, and life, it was all worth it. I wouldn't of change a thing. Share your testimony, and let's reach others to Christ!!

4. Sam says:

Great woman!

5. Pam says:

I read the comment from Angelika, I have met many wonderful moms kids and some dads from Mexico. They are very special to me. I just love the people of Mexico. I'm so glad you have Jesus in your heart (corazon) Angelika. you are part of my family of God. God Bless you sister. (I have enjoyed words of wisdom from Ruth too.)

6. PattyBEIGAY says:

Ruth Graham~ She was a beautiful Godly lady. We must continue to follow God's ways as she showed us by example. She was a lady that wrote beautiful books to inspire others to learn of Christ. We have been blessed by her.

7. Carol says:

I met Ruth at Ridge Crest, NC many many years ago. She was such a classy, charming and delightful lady! One thing she wanted us to understand that she and Billy were “human” just like us, not “unapproachable” as most think. One thing I've always remembered her saying, “Invite us for dinner sometime, we will probably accept.” She wanted us to know that she was just like us, a simple human being who dearly loved people. She made us feel as though we had known her a long time. I admired and loved her and feel she was not just Billy Grahams wife, but truly a woman of God just wanting to do His will for her life. She is greatly missed. Thank you for continuing to share her precious love for her family and Her Lord. I'm so honored to have talked to her in person. She was such a blessing and is sorely missed!

8. Tita says:

Ruth Bell Graham was a gift to us. Missed her dearly though I only got to know her in her writings and books.

9. Doris says:

I loved reading all of her Books. Such a wise woman.

10. Nadine says:

I ask God to forgive me for the ones that have wronged me….when they had no clue the burdens and responsibility that I myself was carrying.