The Power of Persistent Prayer

By Ruth Bell Graham   •   January 5, 2011   •   Topics:

power-in-prayer

The center of power, it has been said, is not found in summit meetings or in peace conferences. It is found when children of God pray for God’s will to be done in their lives, in their homes and in the world around them.

We cannot pray and remain the same. We cannot pray and have our homes remain the same. We cannot pray and have the world around us remain the same. God has decreed to act in response to prayer. He commands us to ask. And Satan trembles for fear we will.

We need to start where we are, as we are. We can start with whatever concerns us, with whatever is lying most heavily on our hearts, whatever is irritating or frustrating us. Be pointed. Be persistent. Be patient. But pray.

When we were growing up in China, bandits kidnapped the two children of our hospital business manager. The bandits held the children for ransom, but it was against mission policy to pay ransoms.

Everyone—missionaries, Chinese friends, co-workers, even we children—prayed. In a few weeks the children were returned—without ransom—a thing unheard of in China at the time.

Also, when I was a child, there was a man named Ma Er who helped our family. The man had gone AWOL from the Chinese army, which found him and cut off his ears. Ma Er was not a Christian. When I left China to go to boarding school in North Korea, Ma Er’s name was on my prayer list. Years later I learned that my prayers had been answered—Ma Er had given his heart to the Lord Jesus and had become a sincere believer.

Be pointed. Be persistent. Be patient. But pray.

Adapted by permission from “Legacy of a Pack Rat,” by Ruth Bell Graham.

1. Nene says:

Thank you for reminding us……..indeed it is powerful when we pray that the will of God be done in our lives. Be blessed.

2. carlos humberto araujo says:

A mais de 29 anos eu tive um encontro com o meu SALVADOR JESUS CRISTO,e estava orando e pedindo ajuda espiritual ,a ELE,pois todos meus amigos e familiares me abandonaram,pois eu havia me convertido a Cristo.Ouvindo este homem,a minha fe aumentou. (More than 29 years I had a meeting with my SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST, and was praying and asking for help, spiritual, because all it my friends and family have left me, because I had converted me to Christ. listening this man, my faith increased.)

3. Dheeraj says:

Thanks for reminding me that the worries, anxities. And pain I can't handle . It's always good to give it our saviour Lord Jesus, He can bring us out fromw the worst situation.

4. Innocent says:

A wonderful piece! God bless BGEA.

5. Doug says:

Ruth, your husband is my Hero on this earth he has done more to lead people to Christ than anyone that i know and he done it without rasing his voice or trying to scare people.

6. A Maina says:

I have been reading your daily decision magazine and have found it very encouraging. Please pray for me and my family especially now we are going through difficult times since my husband/ was brutally murdered in May 2010. I have seen GOD since.

7. Chris says:

I love this message Ruth. “PUSH”…PrayUntilSomethingHappens!

8. Cathy says:

We persistently prayed for a smaller house close to where I work. 100 miles a day commute was becoming difficult for me and my husband while raising our granddaughter. 18 months later after praying constantly we live in a beautiful house 1/2 mi. away.

9. Suicidal says:

Please pray for me

10. Mary Jo says:

I am having a very serious surgery this Friday am.I have been working on this date for a long time. I am very scared, as I will be on a ventilator and will be out of work for 12 weeks.Please pray I have no complications. Thank You very much.